Wednesday, March 2, 2011

STS post 1

This has been my favorite part of the course so far, because I feel that it directly relates to the field I’ll be teaching in.
‘Tell me and I’ll forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I Learn. Pedagogy is about walking the walk, or leading the learners.’ I think this is a great basis to be taught in the first few weeks in this course, and from my own six years experience as a music instrumental teacher, it’s a philosophy I completely agree with. Including the kids and involving the kids in the classes IS the key to allowing Pedagogy to work to its best capacity, there is no doubt about it.
Curriculum is also a topic that has been widely discussed over the past few weeks, which has raised some anxiety in me. What is a good curriculum? Can curriculum be affected by ideologies and beliefs of teachers everywhere, and can this make a big impact on understandings of knowledge and how learning happens? Yes, it can!  To make it more complex, the kids’ background will also shape how successful a curriculum is.

I must admit, that often the word 'Curriculum' inspires one of the nine provocations to whisper in my ear 'Am i ready to Teach?'
But this is where i find solace in the original quote: 'Involve me and i learn.'
I find it great advice in how to go about designing or teaching any curriculum.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zach
    I hope you are still enjoying STS! I am looking forward to reading your next reflection for this subject!
    cheers
    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete